This stuffed acorn squash was mainly a way to use up the cooked quinoa I had in the fridge. My colleague, Margo, showed me a recipe for stuffed squash where the stuffing was mostly nuts, a beaten egg, and cheese and I wanted to give it the Yang* treatment.
Acorn squash was cut in half, rubbed with olive oil, and sprinkled with salt. The two halves were put cut-side-up on a baking tray and baked at 400F for 30 minutes.
While that was baking, I made the stuffing.
- half an onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 1 bunch kale, de-stemmed and roughly chopped
- 1/8 cup roasted pistachio, roughly chopped
- 1/8 cup dried currants
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth or water
- 1/16 cup roasted pepitas
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
* This treatment involves looking at a picture of something but not actually heeding the recipe and making liberal changes.