Will has been trying to make me have more protein. I think we eat fairly healthy already, but I guess one needs extra protein to grow a baby. In the morning, Will makes this pretty delicious protein shake that contains (in his words):
- 8 frozen, pitted dates (dates are so sweet that it’s hard to eat as many as you’re supposed to eat in pregnancy)
- 2-3 med chunks frozen banana
- ~ 64 g nut butters (I use a combination nut butter or a mix of peanut and almond)
- 15-20 g hemp protein (few spoonfuls) I find it a little icky and grainy, but put as much in as you can stand the texture of.
- 10-15 g chia seeds (optional)
- 21 g blackstrap molasses (for iron / calcium, and additional sweetness)
- ~ 85 g silken tofu (the kind in aseptic packages), optional
- 200-350 ml soy milk (depending on whether you’re using yogurt, add more or less)
- 50-100 g greek yogurt or other high protein yogurt (optional, obviously vegans will omit this or substitute something else)
- cocoa powder (optional)
You can also add some brewers yeast to things to boost their protein and vitamin content.
He throws all of that together our blender and blends till smooth. I like to have it in a jar with a lid so that I can drink half for breakfast and half in the afternoon. Sometimes, if I’m super hungry, I may drink the whole thing in one go, but it’s pretty filling.